RR Information

 Road Racing – How do I get Started?

  • Speak to riders in the class that you would like to compete in also speak to Officials who run Meetings.
  • Join a Club, either one that is close to you (who may have a social side) or one that runs Road Race Events.
  • Go and get an Eye Test. You will require this for your Licence.
  • Decide on the Class you want to compete in and make sure your bike complies.
  • Find out about compulsory Novice Training to attain your Novice Licence. This information is available from the SACU Office (phone number 01506 858354)
  • You must attend a Novice Training Day to complete Part 1 (written test) and Part 2 (on circuit training) and have your Licence signed by a Training Officer before you can enter an Event. DO NOT enter any Events until you have both signatures on the back of your Licence.
  • Prepare your budget for racing
  • Contact the Clubs you intend to race with to organise Entry Forms.
  • Make sure that Entry Forms are completed IN FULL and returned to the relevant Club with the correct fee – 14 days prior to the event.

Note for new Road Racers –

Press Release from the SACU Road Race Committee for racing in 2020

There are items on Improver sessions in 2020

No more Superbike Cup

Formula 400 to run within Scottish Lightweights

New licence assessments at two dates at the start of the season and on improver nights only.

See the full press release at https://www.sacu.co.uk/…/…/11/Road-Racing-2020-Statement.pdf

National Licences:

  • Allows entry into British National Status Events and some European Events.

International Licences:

  • You must have held a National Licence for a period of 1 year to be able to receive an International Licence.

Start Permission for riding abroad

  • For events outside the UK you will need a start permission from the SACU Office. This also includes racing at any events  in Ireland.
  • Please complete the Start Permission request form and send to the SACU Office.   SACU Start Permission application


  • Helmets (must be ‘Gold’ Standard Stamped), ‘One Piece’ Leathers, Boots, Gloves, ID Disc, Back Protector.

Before purchasing any of these items take advantage from established riders and Club Officials and always consult the ACU Handbook.

Road Race Rider Development Days

The SACU are promoting, following a successful season in 2018, new rider development sessions for Road Race.  These sessions are open to SACU Clubman road race licence holders, and are aimed at Clubman Licence Holders of all ages who have already clocked up a few signatures on their licence, but wish to seek advice on progressing towards obtaining a full national licence.  These sessions are not intended for those already on National licenses.  We are also including sidecars again this year.


Road Race Retention Card Formula 600 class guidance
SACU Road Race Regulations and classes for 2020 2020 Technical Regulations for 300cc Production Motorcycles