What is Motocross?
It is probably the most colourful and spectacular of all Motorcycle racing. Formally known as scrambling where men, boys and girls take finely tuned machines to the tops of hills or the deepest of valleys and race against each other on pre-determined tracks to see who can; jump the highest; or the furthest; or indeed go the fastest to reach the chequered flag first.
It is a family sport and indeed there are many third generation Crosser’s now starting as early as 6. Both boys and girls travel over the country most weekends to participate in the sport, or watch their Dad racing.
There are numerous clubs both for Adult and Schoolpersons spread throughout the Country that are eager to help and support new riders start racing. Join a club, get a Competition Licence and start racing. The youngest age limit is 6 years but no upper one. As long as you are able to pass a medical you will get a Licence to race.
Bikes can be purchased either privately as rider’s upgrade, or from many dealers around the country like Mickey Oates Motorcycles in Glasgow who have kindly loaned us this display Bike.
Travel to the countryside, get your bike scrutineered, your helmet checked, strap on your boots, body armour and the rest of your protective gear and join another twenty-odd like minded people on the start gates and charge around the side of a hill for twenty-odd minutes in spectacular fashion blowing away the cobwebs.
Motocross – How Do I Get Started?
- Join a club that is close to you (and you can be involved in the social side) or one which organises Motocross.
- Decide on the class you intend to compete in and are eligible for and the machine you intend to use.
- Purchase your machine, riding suit, helmet, boots etc.
- Prepare your machine.
- Apply for a Competition Licence. (this must to be through your Club)
- Contact Organising Clubs for entry forms, complete them correctly and return them to the event secretary.
- Follow any final instructions sent to you, be on time and enjoy your Motocross.
What age do I need to be to start?
Schoolpersons: Age 6 -17
85cc Small Wheels
85cc Big Wheels
Adults: Age 15 and over
Regulations & Marking Guides
|Motocross Regulations 2013_ V 2.0|